Thursday, March 23, 2017

Gem State Classic Show Dance Championships...


My daughter and I are currently in Idaho Falls, Idaho, attending the Gem State Show Dance Championships.

If you'll indulge me for a moment, I'm going to do a little bragging.

Okay, maybe not bragging, but at least, delivering good news. My daughter and her dance partner Paxton tied for 2nd place in their category. It was pretty cool. I videoed the dance and dared not even cheer or scream for fear of letting go of the camera. And, I was pretty nervous, too. They really did a great job and I'm proud of them both. 


I'm new to the whole "going to ballroom dance competitions" thing. The first one I ever attended was last month. I'm kind of a fan now. Watching as a parent brought back memories of when I competed in sporting events. I played little league baseball and football (yes, really, football...). I also played AYSO soccer. When I got to high school I ran track and cross country. I remember my mom going to my little league and soccer games, but not so much track and cross country. And that's okay--I was middle-of-the-road at best. Besides, she had to work being both father and mother to us three kids.

Of all our kids, we've followed our daughter's sporting exploits the most. The boys (except the youngest who currently does Karate...) and the daughter played soccer and we went to every game--we had to or they wouldn't have a ride to and from. The boys never played any other organized sports, but our daughter did gymnastics for several years. She made the decision on her own when it was time to stop. And thanks for some great friends and other fortunate circumstances, she's now doing ballroom dancing.


Now, instead of competing, I watch from the bleachers. I sit and video with all the other parents and grandparents. My stomach does summersaults as my child gets read for her routine, then I can barely breathe as they dance. I wonder what my mom thought as she watched me, this little skinny kid wear a helmet and shoulder pads and pretend to know what I was doing, or when I was stuck in left field hoping no one hit to me. Did she feel nervous? Did she worry?

Probably not. I think parents didn't take the sports as serious back then. At least, that's what I'd like to think anyway. 

I'm proud of our girl--they really did great. And one day, God willing, she'll be sitting in the stands watching her children as they do their stuff. And, God willing, my wife and I will be right there with her.

2 comments:

  1. This just makes me happy! Yea for her and Paxton!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH, my goodness! I am so happy for them. I know that worked hard on their routine. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete