Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Seeing More Than The Big Picture...


I was looking for a Pic Of The Day last night. Usually something pops up and if all else fails, I can find something around the house--decades-old pictures are always pretty good. I pulled my car into the driveway, killed the engine, and looked west.

Another sunset over the Great Salt Lake and Antelope Island unfolded before me so I grabbed my camera.

Over the years I've witnessed and photographed some amazing sunsets. Last night's was nice, but I wouldn't call it one of the best. Still, I thought maybe I could get something out of it. I usually have my zoom lens on the camera and when I focused on the brightest section of the sky, what I saw was very nice. I caught an orange sky through some trees with a the light reflecting off Farmington Bay.


Looks like I found my Pic Of The Day.

I took another picture, just for the fun of it. I pulled back to get the most sky possible with my zoom lens. It turned out to be not the worst picture I've taken. But that second picture got me thinking. If I were shown the big picture, would I see the gem buried in the middle of the shot? How many times have I looked at a picture or a scene and missed something amazing?

I don't know if this little experience will change the way I look at pictures or take them, for that matter. But it did make me think.

No comments:

Post a Comment