Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Oh, What You Experience While...Editing


I am about halfway done with the first major edit of my middle-grade WIP. And I'm really enjoying it. Mostly because it's the first time since I wrote the words back in November that I'm seeing them again. I'm falling in love all over again with the story--that's a great feeling.

I've worked in a cubicle for almost twenty years at my current job, and many years before that at other jobs. Being a writer cannot compare with those jobs. For one thing, when you work in a cubicle, you have a task and once that task is done, you move on to the next task, and you do that day after day, year after year. 

But when you're a writer, sure there are tasks, but there can be times when you do not know if that task is complete. I mean, how can you ever really know if a sentence or a paragraph is done, and if it's done, is it good enough?

I've had the most writing success publishing short stories. I love getting that initial idea and being able to produce a story, sometimes in a few hours. Editing those can usually be done quickly, too. But one thing that drove me crazy was the moment just before I submitted my final draft to the publisher. Was it good enough? Could it be better? My logical mind knows it could be better--there's always more that can be done, but every author knows there comes a time when you've got to just let go. You've got to let your children fly.

I've never submitted a whole novel before so this will be a new experience for me. Hopefully, my short stories have prepared me for what could be an overwhelming experience. I guess we'll find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment