Friday, July 20, 2018

Finally Taking Care Of The Leaves...Of Grass


Our house sits on an odd-shaped lot. We also have a smallish house. Because of those two factors, we have more yard to take care of than might normally be if the house were bigger. I've mentioned before on this blog how I am not a fan of yard work. This year, because of the craziness of life, our yard has received less attention than normal.

It also doesn't help that those in charge of our secondary irrigation water issued a statement: 

Water less or get fined. 

As far as water goes, we had a light winter--I guess the reservoirs weren't filled high enough from the winter snowpack. They turn off the irrigation water in October. They told us if we don't reduce our usage, the water will run out a month early.


I've seen more yellow grass on neighbor's lawns, city parks, and church lots than I think I've ever seen. It means people are following the recommendations.

So, how are we helping conserve water?

By not mowing our lawn, of course.

I haven't don't the research, but I heard that a less-frequently mowed lawn doesn't need as much water. I don't know if that's true. There's probably many stories backing up that claim. There might even be more stories saying you'll use less water by mowing your lawn twice a week.


There's been a couple of reasons why we've let several weeks go by (other than the water reason...). The biggest is because I've been having play rehearsals almost every week night. Another reason is because it's been so hot, It makes it really hard to mow--maybe not for everyone, but it does for me.

Today, I had an afternoon free. The sun was hiding behind clouds and I thought, I can keep making excuses all day long for putting off mowing. Except today was a good chance to get it done. As you can see from the photos, the lawn needs some help. I suppose if we had a lot of disposable income, we could hire someone (of a team of someones...) to fix it up nice, get rid of the weeds, and have a beautiful lawn. 

Maybe one day.

Yes, today my son and I got out there with the mower and we went to town.I hope next time it won't be so long between mowings. We'll have to see if that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment