Saturday, July 28, 2018

Casket Graffiti...A Loving Tribute And A Fantastic Idea!


Today we attended a funeral for my father-in-law. I could write volumes on all the feelings I had, the emotions that came to the surface, and the experience that was the funeral. But I'd like to focus on one aspect I loved--writing farewell messages on the casket.

Earlier in the week a few of us met at the funeral home and discussed options and everything that goes into an American funeral. After choosing flowers, what we wanted on the program, and other details, we went downstairs to choose a casket.


We all decided upon the beautiful pine box.


"You know, what many families do," Matt, the man from the funeral home said. "With that particular one, some families will give everyone a Sharpie and let them write special messages right on the casket."


Once we heard that, we decided we had to do it. After the service and the dedicatory prayer, we handed out the pens and everyone went to town marking up the outside of the casket. I took out my phone and started recording it. I loved seeing everyone excited to leave a lasting message--children and adults alike. I even wrote a parting message and incorporated his alma mater.


After we left, the casket was placed in the vault and lowered into the earth. Then it was covered with dirt. The messages of love will most likely never again be seen by a living soul. But that doesn't matter. What matters is we were able to express how we felt.


When we toured the casket room at the funeral home, we all agreed the casket we chose was the most beautiful one in the room. After each of us marked it up, it was even more beautiful. R.I.P. dad, grandpa, and great-grandpa. We all love you.


No comments:

Post a Comment