Monday, July 30, 2018

Playing Good Cop/Bad Pirate...


On Friday the latest show in which I'm involved will open to the paying public. I do a fair share of shows. I know many who do more and many who do less. I've averaged about one or two shows a year for the past five or so years.

You might not think that's a lot, but one show represents three months of commitment. So doing two shows a year means I'm gone basically six months out of twelve. There's something new about this show for me, something I've never done before. For this production, I'm doing one character in one cast, and another character in the other. Half the time, I'm a pirate, and when I'm not a pirate, I'm a cop.

I can honestly say I love playing both parts. Each has a fun personality. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. As a pirate, I get the girl, but as a cop, I get to tap dance. As a pirate, I get to wear a tattoo and as a cop, I get to wear a mustache--two things I don't currently wear.


When I was asked to take on an additional role, I wondered how hard it would be. I'm going to be doing four shows a week instead of three. That might be the toughest thing. Learning two roles isn't that unusual. When we did It's a Wonderful Life a few years ago, I was, I believe, seven characters in that one show.

So, on Friday we open The Pirates of Penzance, or a Slave of Duty at Centerpoint Legacy Theatre in Centerville, Utah. It's going to be a fantastic show, one I'm glad I agreed to do, one that will push me in ways other shows haven't. Plus, you get to see me with either a mustache or a tattoo--it depends on if I'm being a good cop, or a bad pirate.

No comments:

Post a Comment