Thursday, July 5, 2018

Used An Electric Cart To Shop For The First Time And My Question Is...Why Have I Been Walking For 50 Years?


Yesterday my wife and I found ourselves facing a decision. We needed to pick up something for dinner and we planned on barbecuing. It was Independence Day, after all. The decision that faced us was this: do we go into the store just after returning from Instacare and with my wife in a walking boot just after injuring her calf?

Or, do we go home and figure out something else for dinner.

"I could just go in and get everything?" I suggested. I could tell she wanted to go in too, instead of sitting in a car in 90º temperatures with no shade did not sound fun.

"Yeah," she said. Then we both had the same idea--we can used on of their three Amigo shopping carts. I think we even laughed at the idea, but we also both wanted to do it. Truth be told, I've seen more people use the carts at our local Wal-Mart than at the Harmons store that's near our house. Still, you can't say you haven't been at least a bit curious at what it would be like to zip around on one of those things.


And so we did, or my wife rode--I made sure the pathways were clear. We purchased deli salad, meat to grill, some eggs (because we were low...), and ice cream. We scored on the ice cream--buy one, get one free! We would have bought more, but a couple of gallons was sufficient.

Luckily, we had parked close so my wife zipped across the parking lot ("zipped" may not be the most accurate word to describe the Amigo's speed...) and loaded up the van with our goods. I don't even know if we're supposed to take those things into the parking lot, being first-timers, and all. My wife got in the van and I returned the electric conveyance back to the store. I experienced first had the thrill of piloting an electric cart and I think I could have crawled faster back to the store. I felt like a dork.

My wife and I had a blast in the store. We even joked about not using one of those things earlier. I mean, we'd been wasting all that time and energy walking when we could have ridden in style. Still, of all the pluses associates with the Amigos my wife and I would hate to have to use one. I guess the answer to my question of, why have we been walking instead of riding all these years, is this:

Because we were able to walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment