Tuesday, July 24, 2018

How Do You Properly Observe Pioneer Day...Watch "Trek: The Movie," Of Course!


Last month I attended a screenwriting class and one of the presenters co-wrote and co-directed, Trek: the Movie. The presenter, David Howard, talked about his most recent film and he hoped people would support it. I knew he was going to attend the writing conference for some time and I wanted to see Trek while it was in theaters.

I didn't make it.

But that's not unusual. I haven't seen a film in a theater since back in December. We just don't see movies on the big screen. So when I saw the DVD of Trek at the local bookstore, I thought back to David and Blake's class, because in that class I wished I had seen the movie so I could say I supported it.

Trek is a film about the Mormon tradition of coercing teenage church members into leaving their families, their homes, their electronics, their video games, and as many modern technologies as possible, and push a handcart over long distances. When I was around fourteen-years old, I participated in a trek. Those who wrote and made this film got so many things right about the experience. Even though it's been a long time, I still remember dreaming about, talking about, fantasizing about one thing...

Food!

We were so hungry--all the time--we were hungry.

The film has it's highs and lows, like every film. The beginning was a little slow as not only the characters are introduced but this unique experience that is "trek" is explained and showcased. The best part of the show for me was the main character's (Tom) journey from rebellion to redemption. We learn why Tom is turning from his childhood religion and has to be bribed to even go on the trek. I also found the situation the kids find themselves at the end of the second act believable and relatable.

In short, there were things in Trek I thought I'd see--and I did--but there were surprises, too. I'm glad I picked up the film. I'm glad it was made. And I'm glad that decades ago I decided to go on a trek myself. I've thought about that experience a lot since then. And watching this movie reminded me of it all over again. And that's not necessarily a bad thing. Well done, Dave! You and everyone involved made a film that not only lets us know what going on a trek is like, but also allowing us to re-live what we did, with other kids, while pulling/pushing a handcart.

No comments:

Post a Comment