Saturday, July 7, 2018

When You Realize The Red And Blue Lights Are Meant For You...


You know the feeling, a feeling more dramatic when it happens at night. You're driving and lights from the car (or truck, or motorcycle...) change from the ordinary white to a smattering of reds and blues. You slow down and move to the shoulder of the road...

And the car/truck/motorcycle does not drive by...it pulls up behind you.

Crap.

It happened last night as my daughter and I were returning from a late-night rehearsal. I was stopped at a red light in the left turn lane. Once we got the green light I made the turn then quickly got in the right lane. I was going to turn at the next light to enter the freeway. I notice one car behind me, not unusual, but the roads were almost abandoned at that hour.

The light was red so I slowed and just as I got to the intersection, it turned green. I made the right-hand turn. The car that was following me did as well. Then the car behind me hit the reds and blues and I was pulled over.

You know that feeling when you get pulled over you wonder, first--what did I do wrong? I couldn't think of anything. You then wonder (if you're like me...), is there something wrong with my car--a light out or something? I'd learn soon enough. As the policeman got out of his car I turned to my daughter and told her I hadn't gotten a ticket in probably 30 years.

I rolled down my window. He introduced himself and I asked what was the problem.

"You forgot to signal when you made that right-hand turn."

Yup--he was right. 

I apologized, handed over my driver's license, then awaited my fate. I told my daughter I thought I had signaled. She said I always use my signal. Apparently, that's not true.

He returned, handed me my license, and told me to make sure I use my signal from now on. I thanked him, told him I would, and we both drove away. I spent the rest of the trip playing "wise council dad" to my daughter. I told her I didn't argue. I didn't get mad. I kept my hands 10 and 2 on the steering wheel--she asked about that one. I told her cops are trained to watch the hands. If someone's going to try and do you harm, watching the hands gives you the most time to react. At least, that's what I've been told. I made sure my hands were visible the entire time.

He gave me a warning. He didn't have to. I'm not 100%s sure, but I think they check my record to look up past offenses. Without any--at least, recent--violations, it makes a difference when they're deciding to ticket or not to ticket. And as long as I keep a clean driving record, let's hope my theory holds true from now on. Better yet, let's hope I don't see the red and blues flashing in my rearview mirror again.

No comments:

Post a Comment