Monday, July 23, 2018

Can You Say...Rød Grød Med Fløde På?


It's been over thirty-three years since I stepped foot on Danish soil. Even though I had studied and taken classes about Denmark, the people, their customs, their food, I had so much to learn as a young American teenager leaving the boarders of my home country for the first time.

And one of the first things I learned was how to say:

Rød Grød Med Fløde På

There's a support system for young LDS missionaries when they arrive in the area where they'll spend the next eighteen months to two years. Other missionaries and members who live in the area take the newbies under their wings and show them the ropes. It was the same for me. I was taught about some of the customs they didn't teach in the classes, what's considered rude and unacceptable in social situations. I learned about how different the food is. Now, considering Denmark is in Europe, their diets are pretty much the same as ours (unlike my brother who went to Japan...). 

There was one dish, however, that was not only distinctively Danish, but it was also used as a test on just how well us non-Danes spoke their language. The dish--red berry pudding with cream. And to hear a native Dane say those words--Rød Grød Med Fløde På--it's as foreign and complicated (to pronounce correctly...) as some of the toughest languages on earth.

I found a video on the Embassy of Denmark in the United States Facebook site. You can access the site: HERE. The video shows you how to make it, but doesn't give you a recipe with specifics. You can click: HERE for a recipe. I've had it with both strawberries and rhubarb. It's how I came to love rhubarb desserts.

It's been decades since I spoke Danish for any length of time. I'm rusty with the language. I've been told if I returned, I could get back into speaking it fluently. I hope that's true--I'd like to think that's true. I wasn't the best Danish-speaking missionary, but I did okay. I can say, however, that I did master this one phrase, the one thing Danes asked us Americans to say to see if we really could speak Danish without that American accent.

So, if you read this and you know me and you see me and you remember that I once wrote about my ability to say, "rød grød med fløde på," ask me to repeat it. I'll be glad to do it. Better yet, if you are brave and try and make the dessert yourself, I'll be more than happy to taste test it to see how you did. Because if you made it like the Danes do, I'm sure you'll love it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment