Friday, July 6, 2018

When You Think You See Stephen King At The Walmart Grocery Pick-Up...


I have one of those work schedules that allows me a three-day weekend every week. I put in my forty hours between Monday and Thursday so on Fridays, I am able to run errands and do things many people can only do Saturday or Sunday. That's how I came to find myself at our local Walmart store between the hours of 9am and 10am MDT this morning.

We participate in Walmart's Pick Up service. You get on-line and fill out your order. If it's over a certain amount (I believe $35...), you don't pay extra for this service. And since we have six people, two dogs and two cats living under our roof, we could almost spend $35 a day at that store. We've used the service for several months--it saves us time and we're generally very pleased with the results.

So, this morning--like every other time I've arrived at the pick up location--I parked the car and waited for the person to come out and ask the name on the order. Kyle was that person this morning, very pleasant and very prompt--two things I like in a server.

As he brought out our groceries, a blue Chevy parked next to me. I thought nothing of it--cars come and go all the time. We loaded up my car, I thanked Kyle for his pleasantness and promptness and hopped in the driver's seat of my car to get home. That's when I glanced over at the driver in the blue Chevy...

That's Stephen King, I thought to myself.

Now, when you think you spot someone famous, several thoughts go through your mind, the biggest is, "what in the world would Stephen King be doing at a Walmart grocery pick up in Utah on a warm July morning?"

Of course the answer is, he wouldn't. I guess there's a one in seven-and-a-half billion chance it would actually be him. Just to make sure, I took a second look (but not in a creepy way...) and it wasn't Stephen King, just another pick up customer who looked similar to the famous writer.

As I drove home, I wondered just what would I do if Stephen King pulled up beside me in a blue Chevy (or any car, really...) at the Walmart Pick Up. I'd probably not do much, maybe nod or say, "hi." I mean, the man most likely wouldn't want to be bothered while sitting in a blue Chevy.

Then again, if he ever found himself sitting in a blue Chevy at a Walmart grocery store pick up in Utah in July, he just might ask the next person he saw just what the hell he was doing there. If that happened, I'm not sure I'd know what to tell him, because that's an excellent question.

No comments:

Post a Comment