Tuesday, January 28, 2020

Checking Out A New Podcast...The Reclaimers


When you involve yourself in creative endeavors, you end up meeting people and forming relationships with others who feel that need to create--it's in their D.N.A. I recently heard of a new podcast, created by some people I know and others I know of. It's call The Reclaimers.

I was instantly intrigued.

Today, I was able to download the three available Reclaimers podcasts on the app I use to listen to podcasts. And, to be honest, I wasn't sure exactly how I was supposed to feel after I was done.

Let me explain. First, the podcast is very well produced, well written and recorded. I dig the intro music and the voice actors are as good as any out there. Being a voice actor is a tough job--not everyone can do it. These actors definitely can.

Part of the reason I was a little confused is the set up...I think I was expecting something else. The podcast series tagline is: 

What if emotional abuse was a crime?

And what if survivors had the support of a team of caring empaths to help them heal?

From the podcast website, you can access by clicking: HERE, the following information is posted:

WHAT IS THE RECLAIMERS PODCAST ABOUT?

Set in the near future, where emotional abuse is appropriately deemed a crime, some humans have developed an empathy superpower, enabling them to provide support to survivors of such crimes. This story-based podcast was created to offer both validation and tools/methods for healing and breaking free.

So, I'm thinking dystopian, at the very least. I'm imaging people with superpowers working with victims of crimes. I'm also thinking this may be a little Minority Report-eske, especially if good intentions go wrong and innocent people are punished because of those intentions.

I need to say that I thought these things, partially from other future, alternative reality podcasts I've heard. The Reclaimers isn't this. I'm thinking those who wrote and performed these stories are thinking something like, "Wouldn't it be cool if we could present stories and instead of superheroes, we have people who want to fix problems with their hearts and minds, instead of their muscles and bravado." Because this is what The Reclaimers does. There's a safe place called Haven and people talk through their issues, hopefully coming to a better and healthier conclusion in the end.

I personally have not gone through counseling. This is not to brag or convey a deficiency--I only say this because if I had spent time in counseling or with a professional, I might have understood better what the creators of this podcast were doing when I began listening. Maybe not--just a thought I had.

I can definitely say, The Reclaimers is not your usual podcast. It's complex, imaginative, well-written, thought-provoking, and for me, a little confusing. Maybe that's exactly what it's supposed to be.


2 comments: