Sunday, January 19, 2020

Two Photos...Eleven Years Apart


Years ago--eleven to be exact--my youngest used to love to climb up on our bed when I was working on my laptop. He loved it when I would open up the camera and take pictures of him and me just sitting there. He loved looking at the computer screen, watching himself as if in a mirror, but it wasn't a mirror. I took a lot of pictures of the both of us having fun in front of the laptop camera.

The first picture I ever posted to social media is one of my son and me.

Tonight, as we watched Shark Tank, I asked him if he wanted to take a picture. I showed him the one I posted on January 19th, 2009. He was four at the time.

"I will, if I don't have to hold my hand up to my head," he said.

"No, nothing like that. I just want to see how we look now."


I took the picture. Now, you get to see what eleven years (to the day...) looks like.

As it happens with many families, the youngest child gets the fewest pictures taken of them. It's sad, but true. And what's interesting, at least with our family, when our youngest was born, we used film for the pictures--no digital photography for us twenty-five years ago. Now, everything is digital. I can take a thousand pictures and they're basically free. I can't even imagine what it would cost to develop a thousand pictures back then.

So, instead of a "ten-year photo challenge," here's an eleven-year one. For me, it's just over a decade. For my son, it's a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment