Monday, January 20, 2020

I Finally Bought It...A License Plate Frame




I know I'm vain, hopefully, not in all things, but I know I'm vain in some. I think we're all that way, to a certain degree. If you're not at all vain, good for you. But, I am. I held off buying a license plate frame for the car I drove.

Until last week.

For almost a decade, our family had two cars, a Toyota Minivan, and a Pontiac Vibe. The Vibe was the second one we've owned. I got one after my mother passed away in 2007 and it was a great little car. After a few things happened, it became necessary to trade in our little Vibe, and so we did.

After some other things happened, I was in need of another car. I wanted a Vibe. I liked the look, I liked the gas mileage, and I loved the fact Toyota built it. I found one, a few years older and about 10k cheaper than the one I had earlier. I didn't mind the age, or the fact that the paint was peeling, or the fact that after I hit and killed a deer and we eventually had to put on a new driver's side door (that was not the same color...)--no, I didn't mind any of those things, because of one simple fact...

The car was paid for.

When you don't have money for a car loan, a paid-off car--as long as it runs well--is a thing of beauty.


But, whenever I saw a car drive by with a license plate frame from their alma mater, I kind of wished I could get one for the Vibe. Of course, I could have gone out and picked one up, but I didn't want to put a University of Utah frame on a car that I felt, didn't look good. I like the U of U. I like being an alumnus of the institution. I love the time I spent there, and I didn't want to put a U of U frame on my beat-up car.

I know...I'm vain.

Last month, we sold my Vibe to my daughter. I felt good about it--we know most of the car's history and it's been a fantastic, dependable car. I felt better about selling her my car than taking a chance/risk on getting a car from the public, or buying a car (which neither of us could afford...) at a dealer. This created a problem. I'd now be without a car. Last week we rectified that problem and I found a Subaru.


Introducing Donk.


He's a 2010. He's been very well maintained. He's the same color, all the way around. And, Donk is equipped with an anti-theft device--a manual transmission. We've only had Donk less than a week, but we love him already. Donk gave me a reason/excuse to get a new license plate frame.

And I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment