Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Frikadeller...The Danish Meatball


Last night my wife made a meal I used to eat several times a week while living in Denmark. Sure, it's been almost thirty-three years since I lived in Denmark, but some things never leave you.

The taste of Frikadeller, Danish meatballs, is one of those things.


I admit, the pictures I took of meatballs cooking in grease isn't the most appetizing photo I've ever taken, but the smells filling the house, the taste of international cuisine, it was worth it. After I posted the picture for yesterday's Pic Of The Day, a fellow American born in the wrong country kindly asked for the recipe.

So, Todd--here you go!


Several years ago our family visited Solvang, a town in the hills east of Santa Barbara, California. It's very Danish, and I love (almost...) all things Danish. We picked up the cookbook, mostly because when I lived in Denmark I didn't bring home any recipes of my own. It's a good cookbook, most likely put together by Solvang residents who were tired of Americans asking them all the time, "How do you make that" and "How do you get your pastry to taste so good?"

Side note--speaking of Danish pastry, I don't know how the do it, but it's very hard to find pastry over here that tastes as good as pastry made in Hans Christian Andersen's homeland.


So, if you're feeling adventurous and you'd like to make a meal more rare (as in scarce...) than Swedish meatballs (there are fewer Danes than Swedes...), whip up a batch of Frikadeller, and you'll also say, "Mmmmm! De er SÅ gode!"

No comments:

Post a Comment