Wednesday, March 4, 2020

Interview...Or Inquisition?


A friend of mine messaged me Monday saying he had four job interviews this week.

Four.

For fun, I sent him the above note. He said it was very appropriate. I asked him this morning (he had another interview today...) if he was ready for the next inquisition. He said, again, that it my question was very appropriate. It made me think about all the job interviews I've gone through over the years.

I hate job interviews. Maybe it's because I applied for so many positions both before I began at my present employer and before. I can understand how important interviews are, especially when you're coming off the street and the interviewer doesn't know you. But, when you work for a place--especially if you're interviewing for a job within the company--I wonder if they take your work experience and how well a person does their job into account when they make their decision, and not just how well they answer the questions. Sometimes, it doesn't seem like they do.

Again, I know I'm jaded, but my mind goes there. 

For a while I was applying for several jobs each year for at least a decade. I know I'm not always the most qualified candidate for a particular position and some of the jobs I applied for were "long shots," but I figured it was better to try and be turned down, then not try and end up with the same result. As I get older, I'm applying for fewer and fewer jobs, mostly because I am in a really good place right now. I'm glad my friend is out there trying to improve his situation. I hope it works out for him. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment