Friday, March 20, 2020

And For The Briefest Of Moments...Things Felt "Normal"


You may not be able to tell from this picture, but there was a moment today when life felt almost normal.

Normal...

What an odd word. It wasn't odd before, but it feels odd now.

My wife and I needed to do some shopping. Thankfully, in no small part due to an army of truck drivers, warehouse workers, and grocery store employees, there was stuff for us to buy, food to sustain us for at least another week or two. That, in and of itself, is a miracle.

I wonder if I'll ever not consider a store full of food a miracle ever again.

No, the store was not packed. It was mid-morning, not the height of busy shopping, usually. And yes, some shelves were bare, but hearing horror stories of people's shopping experiences lately, I was glad to see the store had so much stuff. I took a picture from inside the store because at that moment, with us involved in such a normal--even mundane--activity, it felt like stuff we used to do when the world made sense.

I hope I experience more of this feeling of normalcy in the future. My heart hopes for it; my head says it'll probably never happen--returning to the "normal" we once had. In reality, a new day is never the same as the day preceding it. It's always different, just not so different.

I pray for our country and our world. Billions are scared, confused, frustrated, and just plain tired. I also pray for strength to see us through this dark time. God be with us.

No comments:

Post a Comment