Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Yeah, We Went To Costco...But We Didn't Go Crazy


We went to Costco last Friday, not Saturday when apparently everyone went and cleaned the store out of toilet paper and bottled water. No, things were much tamer the day before. 

A couple of observations...

Almost every cart had a couple of things, a five-pack package of Clorox Wipes, and a package of toilet paper.

Most people looked like they were doing their regular Costco shopping, like us.

A few were loading up on cases and cases of bottled water. My first thought, when I saw flatbed carts full of water was those people must be in charge of a 5K charity event and they were buying water for the runners, or maybe they owned several vending machines and needed to re-stock.

It never occurred to either me or my wife that people were buying water because of a possible pandemic. The toilet paper I can understand, but water...really? That never crossed our minds.

No, my wife and I got our regular things, and a couple of things it would be nice to have--extra dog food, extra sugar. Other than that, the stuff we jammed into the back of Donk the Subaru was pretty much what we usually get.

There are two kinds of people in this world, those who rush to Costco and buy all the toilet paper and bottled water they can grab, and those who say too themselves, they'd never be caught dead at Costco while the first group are there. I'm glad we went and experienced something that thankfully, doesn't happen very often. It was like participating in Black Friday before the internet, when scores of people are out in force, fighting others for the best deals. If you just hung back and observed, just being there, seeing what people think are "necessities," watching others prepare for bad times ahead, taking it all in (while others take it all out...).

Yes, I'm glad we went, and I'm glad we didn't go crazy. We'll leave that to those who have garages full of bottled water.

No comments:

Post a Comment