Monday, March 16, 2020

Last Night's Sky...


I stepped out on to our back porch last night and looked up. It was beautiful. White cotton clouds filled a darkening sky. I had to try and capture what I saw. Of course, these photos can't do it justice--they rarely can.

The experience reminded me of the way I felt in September, 2001. Back then, we faced an unsure future, too. Different circumstances, but unease, worry, stress, the lack of stability--all accompanied the terrible events. The past week I've blogged about life in the new world and how we're reacting to news of a virus, something so small we cannot see it, only its effects. I wanted tonight to write about something else so when I saw a couple of pictures I took last night, I thought I'd share.

But, my mind circled back on the virus. It's hard to escape its influence.

There is one difference between last night's sky and a sky after 9/11/01. If you look closely, in the bottom picture you can see something you would not have seen back then. Almost directly in the center of the picture is a small contrail from an airplane, several thousand feet in the air. Back then, only military planes were allowed to fly. Now, planes are still flying, at least, for now.

But I'll bet, back in the last quarter of 2001, there were some beautiful skies, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment