Sunday, March 22, 2020

The Hills Are Alive...With The Sound Of Hikers


This past week I think I've seen more hikers on the mountain above our house than any other time in my life (and I've lived on this street for more than four decades...). It makes sense--people need diversions. And as far as diversions go, there's none better than going for a relatively easy hike on a beautiful spring day.

On a day like today, with few cars on the road and fewer airplanes in the air, you can hear a lot of things. With the wind just right, you can hear bits of conversations between the hikes several thousand feet away. We don't necessarily know what they're talking about, only that they are. 

A few weeks ago, I took a small hike up the hill, not all the way to Flag Rock, but high enough to take a few pictures and enjoy the view. I thought what a great idea it would be to start hiking on a regular basis. I thought it would be good for my physical health--got to get out of the house and be active when you're home all day.


Now, I think it would be a good idea to go hiking, not just for the physical benefits, but for mental ones as well. 

There's something cleansing about rising above it all, and using your body to get you there. Apparently, I'm not the only who who feels this way. 

Today, there must have been at least a hundred people on the Flag Rock trail, and still others on other trails on the mountain. I hope it was time well spent for them. Based on my experience, I'm sure it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment