Thursday, March 5, 2020

Like Hearing From An Old Friend...


Back in February I had a staff meeting in Provo. I took the train. And because I took the train, I did not speak to a single person. No, I listened to noise coming out of my headphones. One the way down, I listened to podcasts, but on the way home, I didn't.

I listened to music...

The music of my youth.

I should listen to music more. Ever since I began this writing thing, I've spent more time listening to podcasts and audiobooks. One reason for this is because for the past decade I've been listening to only one headphone--almost always the left side--and that works best for podcasts or audiobooks, not for music.

I guess that's why putting on Pat Metheny's First Circle, I could hardly believe just how incredible that album is, the talent gushes from the songs, the harmonies, the musicality--all of it. That's not including the memories that are fused in my D.N.A. My friends and I listened to this particular album over and over and over and over again--we did that because back then, you had to actually buy the music you wanted to hear, especially music like this that wasn't played on any radio station.

I wanted to sing along. I wanted to dance, two things not allowed on public transportation. But, oh, the memories...

Back in February I had a staff meeting. I took the train. I listened to music. I should listen to music more.

No comments:

Post a Comment