Friday, March 13, 2020

"BACKGROUND...You're Up!"


Earlier this week I noticed a post on social media: Needed--extras for a one-day film project.

Hmmm...

I was sitting at my desk working. The call was for the next day. What to do...? I was caught up. I have more than a month of vacation time to burn this year, and since we don't do vacations (usually...), I thought, why not? I followed the instructions to be considered, e-mailed my contact information and photos, then waited.

Soon after, I received a response: You're booked!

Sweet!


I haven't done a lot of extra work. Back in the 1990s I was on a couple of projects, one even gave me some quality face time (my definition of "quality" may not be yours...). It was fun, but long, long days. This one-day gig was similar. I didn't stay the entire 12-hours, as indicated in the announcement, but it was a 10-hour day.

The taping was for the BYU TV show Studio C, a very well done sketch comedy program. I'm not going to give anything away as to the skit, but rest assured, it was funny. When, after hours and hours of filming, the crew laughs at a take--after seeing the same thing done multiple times before--you know it's funny.


Being an extra on a film project is its own experience. There were about twelve of us. I kept to myself and read a book. Most chatted with the other extras about what projects they had done in the past. I'm sure many of them have their own IMDb pages. It's fun to listen to each of them talk about meeting celebrities, working on famous (and not so famous...) projects. And, we were well-fed, which is always a plus.

Even though this project was different than the others I've done, one thing remains the same. Filming is hard work. The crew works so hard, re-setting, changing lighting, camera angles making sure sound is right, everything. Us extras were paid a flat rate--more than minimum wage, but not much. Then there must have been fifty or so people all working together for a one-day shoot for a skit that may last less than ten minutes. Yes, the finish product lures many with the possibility of fame and fortune, but rest assured, it's tough, tough work.

I took a day off of work to work a different kind of job. Lots of waiting, little actual in-front-of-the-camera time, but it's something I'd like to do again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment