Saturday, March 14, 2020

What's Life Like Without Sports? We're All Finding Out...


I am not the biggest sports fan--my wife may disagree. And to her point, I'm probably a bigger sports fan than I need to be, but I have friends who make my sports fan-age rookie league, at best. So, when the world pulls the plug on every major sporting event, I can only imagine the withdrawal they're going through is going to be severe--if it's not yet hit, it will.

Last night I turned on the TV and first checked the Sports channels. It's habit. Normally, there'd be basketball--it is March, after all. Even though my favorite college team's season's done (as are every other team's season...), I might have been able to pick up a Utah Jazz game--I have not committed their schedule to memory. Or, perhaps, a soccer game. I usually find something to watch. Yes, when I checked last night, there were games on, but in the upper left-hand corner of each game icon, there's a space to indicate whether the game is Live or a Repeat.


They were all Repeats.

Except for one game.


It seems a professional rugby game between a team from Seattle and one from Salt Lake did take place last night. It may be the last live game I see for a while.

Events like this, the world-wide shut down of sports, stores, events, even entire countries, it will have unintended consequences. Perhaps, one of them is a realization of how important sports is in our lives...

And how unimportant it can be.

This current situation will one day end, and things will return to normal--not everything, but almost. I try not to judge others when it comes to their sports mania. For many, their relationships, their identity is entwined with sports on a personal level. I wish them well through this difficult time.


No comments:

Post a Comment