Saturday, August 22, 2020

It's What We Don't See...


I saw this posted on Instagram the other day. 

Stuff like this fascinates me, I must admit. Years ago I watched a TV show about this sort of thing and they talked about the visible light spectrum. It was, pardon the expression, eye-opening.

The point of the show--and of this Instagram post--showed me that there's so much out there that we just don't know. Sure, other values of the spectrum are identifiable and quantifiable--that's how we know they exist, but we've all met people--myself included--that don't really believe something unless we can see it.

And because of that, just how much are we actually missing because we can't see it?

I'm no scientist, far from it. My mind doesn't think that way. I'm more on the other side of the equation. When I first saw the show, my mind went to how this fact of not seeing almost all the light spectrum could make for some amazing fiction.

Facts providing a basis for fiction.

That's the best kind.

Humans forget there's a lot out there we don't know, that we can't see, actually 99% of some things. But knowing that we don't know is something, isn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment