Thursday, August 13, 2020

That Time I Was An Award-Winning Photographer...


Did a little cleaning tonight and I came across three photos, three photos I took I think back in 2013. I've taken at least one picture every day since January, 2011. I chose three of those photos to enter them in our county fair photo contest.

I remember thinking I ought to send in some photos--that year I did. There was a time when I wanted to be a professional photographer. That never worked out, but I do consider myself a photographer. I had to scramble to find three pictures I felt were good enough to enter. I'm sure I've taken better pictures than these three, but I was also satisfied with the ones I submitted.


I also remember not knowing anything about how to prepare the pictures, how to showcase them. Needless to say, I did a poor job. I actually used Elmer's Glue to stick the photos to the board stock. You can even see the glue bubbles in the pictures I took of the photos.

Definitely bush league. 

So, I was kind of surprised that I even placed. After looking at the other photographs, I realized almost everyone placed, and if they didn't place, they received a "Participant" ribbon, sort of the "participation trophy" but for pictures.


Each year I've thought about entering other pictures, choosing the best ones from the previous year. But then, the deadline always passes and I forget or get busy with other projects. Of course, this year, the entire event was canceled. 

I've always thought of my photos as a hobby, a fun one, and sometimes one that generates some amazing pictures. Who knows--maybe one day I'll remember the deadline, find some good shots, property mount them on the boards, and enter them in the fair.

I could use some more participation ribbons in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment