Saturday, August 1, 2020

The Piano...That Lived


Have you ever tried getting rid of a piano...in Utah? I did some very basic research (checked KSL Classifieds...) and there are dozens of pianos on their site that are free--well, when I say "free," I mean, the lucky person getting the free piano usually has to pay to move it, or find several burley guys and/or gals to transport it.

Free is in the eye of the provider, apparently.

About fifteen years ago, a friend and co-worker asked if our family would like a piano. His mother-in-law passed away and they were cleaning out her house. We had four kids and we wanted them to start taking piano lessons. This was a win-win situation. We hired a company to move it for us and it sat in our living room for a decade and a half.

It was time for the piano to go. I asked friends and family if they wanted it--I even blogged about it. I got no responses. Not surprising--so many homes in Utah already have a piano, either an upright, a baby grand or grand, or they might have an electric keyboard, many of which sound incredible. It seems the piano's days may be coming to an end--it had served society well, but it was its time.

No, the piano's future did not look bright. In fact, we were even watching YouTube videos on how to disassemble a piano.


Then, I had an idea. I texted my friend and now retired co-worker to see if they might be interesting in having the piano return to his fold. The instinct to contact him was inspired. He had a cousin that needed one for his kids. A quick call to the movers and, just like that, it was gone.

Anytime any of us look at the corner where the piano once stood, it's strange not seeing the big beautiful instrument. I don't know if this latest move will be the piano's last. It almost was when it came to live with us. But, thanks to some fortunate circumstances, the piano yet lives...

To play another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment