Saturday, August 15, 2020

Saw Some Cars Hit Each Other On I-15 This Morning...Could Have All Been Avoided


This morning, around 9am. We're driving north on I-15 after picking up groceries and a McDonald's breakfast. Traffic's not heavy, but not too light, either. Just before we exited in Farmington, I saw the car--a white coupe--try to merge into a lane where a pick-up truck was already merging. They got close and I saw both sets of break lights. I wondered if they hit each other.

A second later, it was evident, they did.

That was the first hit. The second and third hits came after.

And it all could have been avoided.

I've noticed the differences in the way people drive. A lot has to do with the time of day people are driving. Many people hate driving in rush hour traffic, but I've noticed rush hour drivers are more engaged, more aware. Sure, they drive faster than normal, but they're driving with a purpose. They want to get home. That seems to be the opposite of drivers during the other times of day. Many of those drives seem to have all day to get wherever they're going.

Usually, Saturday morning drives are pretty low-key, relaxed. I know we were on our way home this morning. So was the truck hauling a boat in the lane next to us. He was driving basically the speed limit and I saw that I didn't have enough room to pass him before the exit, so I slowed down to make my exit and got in behind him. At the same time I saw a while coupe do the same thing. 

Except the white coupe was in a hurry. He quickly left the slow lane to pass me and the truck/boat combo. As he did this, the truck/boat combo moved left into the next lane. The white coupe punched it and passed it on the next lane over.

So far, so good. Except the coupe wanted to make the exit, one he clearly wasn't going to make. It didn't stop him from merging into a lane the same time as another truck. They bumped, the truck and coupe slowed down, and unfortunately, the truck/boat combo hit the truck as it tried to got to the side of the road. All because the white coupe was impatient and couldn't stay behind me for a quarter mile until the exit came.

It's really too bad, one reckless driver ruining three weekends. Thankfully, no one was hurt, as least, it didn't appear to be the case. When I was younger, I used to drive like that (well, not exactly like that--I was never involved in that type of accident...). Age has mellowed me and I'm so glad it has. Now--most of the time--I'm content with just staying behind trucks and boats and fast-driving coupes, as long as I get home safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment