Wednesday, August 19, 2020

How In The World...Have I Taken 35,000 Pictures And Videos?


I noticed something when I checked my photos tonight. 

I was sitting at 34,999 items.

That's thirty-four thousand, nine-hundred and ninety-nine pictures and videos that I have taken and downloaded to a computer or cloud storage.

Unbelievable.

I've blogged about how I'm a digital photography hoarder before, most likely when I reached another incredible storage milestone, like 20K or even 30K. Since the entire photography process now is almost completely free (there is a price for storage, but it's nothing compared to the cost of taking pictures in the "good ol' days of film...), why not just keep all these pictures? What's the harm?

I'll tell you the harm...I almost never look at them.

We've got several photo albums stowed in a cabinet. Each child has their own album, and we have more pictures of the first child than the fourth. The kids love to pull them out occasionally and see how things have changed and how they looked all those years ago.

But now, when I've taken literally thousands of pictures and videos of each child, we never pull them up, we never reminisce, we never gather around and look and laugh and remember.

Never.

There's just too many of them. 

Imagine, just going through all those photos and videos. It would take a team of people months, if not years.


Truth be told, I've downloaded even more photos and videos that than--I've deleted some over the years. I guess the deleted ones are in some digital garbage can somewhere in the ether. Tonight I took a screen shot showing the 34,999 items and instantly, it clicked to 35,000 (actually, it didn't do that even though I wanted it to--it showed 33, 492 photos and 1,508 videos--impressive, just not as much as showing 35,000 items...).

Knowing me, I don't see myself changing anytime soon. I'll probably just keep doing what I'm doing, post a picture or two everyday and keep the ones I don't post in my digital photo album...an album no one might ever see.

Such is life in modern times.

No comments:

Post a Comment