Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Time To Vote Early...For Dave And Michaelbrent At Dragon Con!


Almost seven years ago, to the day, I walked into the Salt Palace Convention Center excited and a little nervous. It was Day 1 of the very first Salt Lake Comic Con (later, Salt Lake FanX Comics Convention...). I arrived early, having picked up my "Special Guest" pass. I was a panelist and I didn't know what the crap I was doing or what was about to happen.

I ran into a friend, Blake, who was on the executive committee. It was Blake that signed me up as a panelist. While he and I chatted, a distinguished gentleman approached. I recognized him immediately.

Michaelbrent Collings.

Best-selling Horror author.

I met both Blake and Michaelbrent years earlier at a writing convention. They presented a panel on screenwriting. I attended their panel because a few years earlier, I won a screenwriting contest and my script was turned into an award-winning short film. Blake and I kept in touch.

Blake left and so Michaelbrent and I chatted. "There's an author you should meet," he said. "He's here from Boise."

"Sure," I said.

I had no idea that what came next would sort of change my life.

I met Dave Butler. He had spent the previous few years writing several books that he published himself, but you could tell he was destined for bigger and better things. Fast forward seven years and now both Michaelbrent and Dave are finalists for the Dragon Awards. According to Wikipedia (the fount of all surface knowledge...): 

The Dragon Awards are a set of literary and media awards voted on by fandom and presented annually since 2016 by Dragon Con for excellence in various categories of science fiction, fantasy, and horror novels, movies, television, and games.Wikipedia

Both of these amazing authors are up for awards this year, Dave for Witchy Kingdom, and Michaelbrent for Scavenger Hunt. You can help them out. The rules are such--click: HERE to register. Once you register Dragon Con will e-mail you a ballot. Follow the instructions and, BOOM! You've done your part to help humanity! Is this voting as important as the votes America will cast next November?

Of course!



But seriously, the Dragon Award is a highly respected recognition of science fiction and fantasy voted by you, the readers. It's a chance for us nerds to have our voice be heard, and counted.

Seven years ago, I met two former attorneys turned writers. Now, they're being recognized for their hard work and talent. If you have a moment, vote. It's a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment