Monday, August 3, 2020

I Heard The Squawking...Didn't Know Our Cat Was To Blame


I heard the quails squawking. I've heard birds squawk before, mostly because of predators.

I didn't realize our cat was the cause.

There are quail in the neighborhood. We see them occasionally. Mostly, they're scurrying across the street as we drive down the road. I don't know where they nest, but it seems they don't nest at our house. Of course, they might--I just don't see them.



The other day I was out in the yard and the quail were chirping. It didn't seem to be a panicked chirp, but more a friendly one. I did see our cat walking around, following me as I photographed the birds. The cat does that--he's followed me on a hike up the mountain before.

I went inside, then came out about twenty minutes later.


The cat sat on the lawn and I notice he was chomping something. Upon closer examination, I found what the cat was eating...a baby quail. If you look closely at the photo, there's a foot under the cat. Now, I've seen birds go crazy when their nest or babies are in danger. I watched robins go nuts when a snake was climbing up a tree to their next. I've seen magpies attack our cat when it got too close to a nest. So, it surprised me when I watched the quail seem not so bothered that a cat was in the area.

It's the way of things, birds eat bugs, cats eat birds. It's the circle of life. Still, it's interesting to see it first hand.



No comments:

Post a Comment