Monday, August 31, 2020

I'm All For Quality, But...I Don't Live In Their World


I saw the display and I did not just a double-take, but a triple take.

No way, I thought.

Maybe it's because I'm not used to shopping where the items are so expensive. Maybe it's because I'm not used to shopping in general. But when you see things items I'm used to seeing at 1/10th the cost, it takes me by surprise.

I'm no expert in marketing, but I understand some of the basics. Is a Porsche worth the cost of ten regular cars? Yes, there are things a Porsche can do that regular cars cannot--and no matter how many regular cars you have, you'll never match the performance of the Porsche. A brand-new Hyundai can't match the acceleration, the cornering, the top speed of the Porsche.

So, I can sort of understand a price difference between those two car makers.


But a toaster?

Can a $300 or $400 toaster out-perform a GE model costing $50?

And that's just a toaster. The display also had a blender costing $600, a $500 coffee maker, and a $600 cooker. 

It's easy for me to sit back and rip on Wolf for these appliances. I don't live in their world. There's a reason these things are priced as they are. It's because many people out there want them and are willing to pay for them. I'm actually glad they're out there. As with anything--even toasters--you have different levels of quality. There's low end, middle end, and top-of-the-line. And for those willing and capable of paying the price for these items, Wolf's made them for that very reason.

Thinking about it, I'd like to be included in that group. The question is, if I had the means, would I consider spending the money on them? Or would my decades-old frugality (i.e. cheapness...) stop me from pulling the trigger? Right now, I can't see myself doing it. 

I don't live in their world.

No comments:

Post a Comment