Wednesday, February 9, 2022

A Song For The Dying...


 Today, as I worked, my wife rehearsed a song. I heard her singing in the front room as I sat behind a closed door. Her high school classmate died recently and a request was sent out to her class madrigal group to sing a tribute to their friend, a song that was the student's favorite...

A song for the dying.

I first asked my wife why she was rehearsing. She told me the story of her friend who passed away. I asked what happened. Turns out the student had a heart attack while driving. It wasn't the crash that took her life.

Heart attack.

I've heard those words many times in the past year. I'm no statistician, but I'll bet you know someone who has had a heart attack, or you know someone...friend, neighbor, co-worker...who has had someone close to them who has had a heart attack in the past year. I say that because I've lost three family members and one friend (ages from 30's to early 60's...) in the past four months...one a month. Statistically speaking, I can't be the only one with so many deaths from heart attacks in their life in the past year.

In our church, there's a phrase I've heard all my life...that in the last days, men's hearts will fail them. This comes from Luke 21:26 which states, "Men's hearts failing them for fear and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken."

I stated before I'm no statistician, nor am I really an expert on the scriptures, but I wonder if those who predicted the end times and talked about failing hearts were talking about actual heart attacks.

My wife recorded her part and downloaded it with the others. Because of the amazing times in which we live, her voice will blend with others and provide a loving tribute for their fallen friend...just another song, one of so many sung and performed in the past year. Too bad it won't be the last song sung for the dying.



No comments:

Post a Comment