Monday, February 14, 2022

Well Done, Mr. Weddle...Well Done


 Not being a world-class athlete, I have no way to relate to what world-class athletes go through as they train, prepare, and participate in the big game. It's hard to imagine working most of your life towards a singular goal--to win a championship...to walk off the field knowing that for a brief moment in time, no other team is better than you at your sport.

The feeling must be amazing.

The Super Bowl was played last night. For the second year, I did not watch. This doesn't mean I wasn't interested in the outcome. Since I like underdogs, I would not have minded if the Cincinnati Bengals had won. I love it when team that have never won before finally get their ring. But, I wanted the Los Angeles Rams to win, and not because they have three former University of Utah football players on the their roster,

It's because they had one former Ute on their team...

Eric Weddle.

If you know his story, you're as amazed at how his a career ended (for the second time...) as me. If you're not familiar with him, do an internet search and you'll be impressed, too. But what makes the man one of my favorite players in a game I no longer follow is the fact that he is universally loved. Those who know him personally cannot say enough about his character, the type of man he is, the example he is for boys and fathers everywhere.

Add to the fact that his football playing career had a fairytale ending only makes his story more incredible.

I have a friend who had the opportunity to meet him on several occasions. My friend lives near San Diego and when Weddle played for the Chargers, he would speak to youth members of his church. My friend--an avid BYU fan--told me Eric Weddle is the only good thing to come out of the University of Utah. It was a tongue-in-cheek comment, but his opinion of Mr. Weddle eclipsed those negative feelings he had for his rival school.

So many players retire without ever winning a championship...many players never come close. It's good to see a great athlete and from what many say, a better man, walk away from the game a champion. The post-game ice cream is well-deserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment