Saturday, February 19, 2022

Improving The Neighborhood...One Streetlight At A Time


 From my office window I saw an odd truck rumble up the street. I'd never seen such a truck before, at least, one that I can remember. It looked like it might be used for cleaning out sewer pipes. Once it passed I didn't think much about it.

Shortly after, a group of men gathered on the corner across the street. They were obviously workers of some sort. Then, the truck re-appeared. Ah...I thought. They were connected. I went back to work and from time to time, wondered why a strange truck and some workers were across the street. The truck eventually left and I realized why they were there...

They installed a shiny new streetlight.

Yay!

I know it's silly...excited over a streetlight. When my father built our home in Davis County, there weren't even paved roads leading to our house. This was 1970 and instead of installing large streetlights, they set up these fiberglass pods that looked like eggs sticking out of the ground. When a new house was to be built, they would remove the egg and install a short light. I loved the one in front of our house. When we built across the street from that house 30+ years later, I wished we had a pod so we could have put in a light. No such luck. We spent almost twenty years without a streetlight.

In this neighborhood, we arrived after the streets were paved. We're no longer the first ones here. And even though we still don't have the option of having our own individual streetlight. I like having lights on the street...more lights at night is an improvement. Though the neighborhoods are separated by miles and decades, it's good to see those improvements.

No comments:

Post a Comment