Thursday, February 17, 2022

Such A Beautiful Show...


 Such a beautiful show...

I know my mom had a copy of All Creatures Great & Small. I remember seeing it in the bookshelf in her bedroom. I never read it, though. Then I remember a series of the books came out years ago...I never watched them.

Then a new series came out recently, and this time we decided to give it a shot.

The storylines are engaging, characters--though not so complicated--interact with each other with the background of the English countryside. It's set during the 1930s and it centers around a veterinarian and how he adapts to live in a new land.

But, it's not the stories that captivate me...it's the scenery. And as amazing the scenery is, what is overwhelming is the fact that right now, as I'm watching the shows, that very scenery can be seen to anyone living in that area. 

We live in a time when absolutely any terrain, any world imaginable can be reproduced digitally. We watch dinosaurs on screen as life-like as our own pets. We see planets in distant galaxies as true as our own. Maybe that's why watching this show is so impressive...because it's real. I can (if I had time and means...) go to where the show is filmed, which, according to IMDb, is Grassington, North Yorkshire, England and drive those roads, walk the city streets.

The series has not concluded. I have no idea of how many more they'll create or if they follow James Harriot's books. Still, when we sit down and watch each episode, the scenery gets me every time. 

The show is many things...simple stories, adversity overcome, hearts broken then mended, all wrapped up in a beautiful package.

No comments:

Post a Comment