Sunday, February 13, 2022

Give Thanks...Open Spaces

Open Spaces...

They are becoming an endangered species.

For the moment, we live at the edge of a field on a sloping hillside. To the west and south of us, homes are popping up like weeds. It's only a matter of time they'll expand north and east, too. Such is life.

I never noticed how much I enjoy an open field, a place where deer and wild rabbits call home, until we moved. There's something about looking out and not seeing humanity everywhere...it's almost spiritual. I can only imagine what those who first spotted this valley--and other valleys like it--centuries ago. Were they filled with awe? Could they envision roads and interstates criss-crossing the land and incredible inventions of machinery screaming over those roads at 80 m.p.h. or faster. I doubt many could ever imagine jet airplanes thousands of feet overhead flying people to all parts of the world.

Maybe they guessed some things correctly...

I also wonder if they looked over the dry desert landscape of this valley and it filled them with wonder...a place where a man could build a home, grow their food, raise a family, and be basically left alone to live as one saw fit.

Two weeks ago my wife and I drove through valleys and mountain passes to attend a funeral. The views were amazing. And the D.N.A. from many of those people who long ago traveled to this part of the world to settle still resides in those doing the same thing now. I'm grateful for open spaces. I'm grateful some are still around.

No comments:

Post a Comment