Friday, February 18, 2022

Remembering A Favorite Son...


 When we moved north, one interesting aspect of the town (among many...) is the many murals that grace the sides of buildings. One particular one that caught my attention is located downtown. I knew it was special because shortly after we arrived, the official unveiling took place. I remember a large crowd gathered on and across the street.

At the time, I didn't know who was being honored...it was so large that I didn't have a good angle to see the entirely of the mural. I found out quickly the painting was honoring Gail Halvorsen, better known as The Candy Bomber.

I thought it was nice the city of Tremonton was showing its appreciation to a hero. I only found out after that Halvorsen was from the area. It made more sense, then. 

I think most Utahns knew about Halvorsen and his inspiring history of dropping candy to the children during the Berlin Air Lift. I have surface knowledge of what happened. I'm sure he would have been a fascinating person to sit down and talk to for an hour or so. He passed away this week.

Having the huge mural in town to honor a favorite son is cool. The fact he was able to see and appreciate it is even cooler. Hopefully now his story will be told to others who may see the painting and ask their parents who he was.

No comments:

Post a Comment