Sunday, September 4, 2022

Give Thanks...For Community Theater


 My daughter is currently in a production of Singing In The Rain at the adorable Heritage Theatre in Brigham City, Utah. I was fortunate enough to see their second showing. Loved it. Usually, I've also been in the shows (mostly because my kids needed someone to drive them to and from...). The real reason is I love doing the shows, too--especially when I can do shows with my kids.

It's been several years since I was on stage. Covid then moving are the main reasons I haven't been as active in the theater as I once was. I used to do shows with my oldest son. He's married now and hasn't the time. Then my daughter caught the bug and she and I have been doing shows since 2006.

I wonder if we'll ever do another. Maybe...maybe not.

I am incredibly grateful for community theaters. In Utah, they're everywhere. It's almost more incredible that they do all those shows with unpaid talent. People come out of the woodwork to be in a show. Without the volunteers, community theater in Utah--and, I imagine most places--would die. I have friends who have met their spouses in shows, careers have been made, friendships formed, lives changed, and that's just in the casts.

I'm grateful to live in an area where these shows are supported and appreciated. People fill those seats.

The Heritage Theatre is small, quaint, lovely. They did so much with so little as far as the stage and the props are concerned. And the show only succeeded because people worked hard to put on the best show they could. I'm glad I was able to share the stage with so many incredible people over the years. It was--and hopefully will be in the future--an honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment