Monday, September 26, 2022

"We Don't See A Lot Of People Walk Away From Something Like That" The Highway Patrolman Said...


 The call came in last night.

"We hit an elk," my daughter said over the phone to my wife.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes," my daughter said. "I'm okay. We're just waiting to go to the hospital."

"The hospital?!"

My daughter and her boyfriend were traveling through a Utah canyon last night when their car hit and killed an elk. It could have easily killed them, too. We think what saved them from more harm was the car's hood flipped up and prevented the elk from entering the car. I've been told when a car hits those bigger animals, since they're so tall, the bulk of an elk or moose can go right into the car through the windshield and seriously harm or kill those inside the car.

Thank God that didn't happen.

My daughter is so funny. When we asked if she was hurt, she said she was okay. When she said she had to go to the hospital to get checked out, we asked how bad was she hurt. 

"They need to see if my nose is broken, and I may have powder burns, too."

They checked her out--thankfully, nothing broken. She looks like she want a few rounds in the ring, though. And thankfully, her boyfriend--also beat up--was not seriously injured, either.

Last night, with our daughter away from home hurting, my wife and I just sat there thinking of what might have happened, that the call could have been made not from our daughter, but from someone else, someone with news of a much worse outcome. So, so thankful the call came from her and that she's now home with us. Apparently, not many people walk away from something like that, at least, that's what we've been told.

No comments:

Post a Comment