Tuesday, September 27, 2022

When, Oh When Will Shorts Season End...?


 Today, I had to change from sweats to shorts in the middle of the day.

It's almost October.

I am more than ready to have shorts season end.

The above picture is not used to show my almost fifty-seven-year old legs, nor is it to show me wearing a pair of miss-matched socks. No, it's to show that the season of shorts that begins around April or May should be over about now.

My father-in-law told me something years ago. Utah has almost perfect weather. By the time you're sick of the winter, it begins to warm up. By the time you're sick of the heat, it begins to cool down. I still believe that's true. Even though we've had a warmer than normal summer, I welcome the cooler days of autumn. 

I've said many times fall is my favorite time of the year. In the fall bugs--mosquitos, mostly--die. In the fall, pollen levels drop. In the fall, yard work becomes a memory. In the fall, you get to wear your warm snuggly clothes and enjoy the incredible feeling of a down comforter.

These things don't happen in the summer. No, in the summer bugs--mosquitos, mostly--swarm and seek out blood. In the sumner pollen levels spike. In the fall, yard work must be done. In the fall, you get to wear shorts and t-shirts. This isn't that bad, but it allows more exposed skin for the mosquitos to feast.

Shorts season is almost over. I for one am more than ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment