Friday, September 2, 2022

So...It Begins Anew


 Tomorrow night, far from here, the dance begins anew. Another year, another chance for greatness or despair, glory or heartache, pleasure or pain.

Oh, why do I care?

I really shouldn't. I'm a man in my mid-almost-late 50s. I have grown children, an incredibly stable job, and a loving wife. Why do I allow myself to get caught up in the hype, the promises, of what will happen? And the worst part is, I went through the same thing last year, and the year before that, and the year before that...

Sensing a pattern?

I used to follow almost all pro and many college sports leagues. I know I spent WAY too much time watching games, thinking about games, etc. It's unhealthy. I've given up on most of the sports I used to follow with religious fervor. Actually, most of the sports I no longer follow gave up on me. It doesn't really matter how the split occurred, but it did.

Still, there's something about college football that still draws me in. The problem is, the best league has the shortest season. If I still followed the NFL, or MLB, or NBA, I can watch those games almost all year long.

Another reason I both love and dread the season is because this year's University of Utah football team is projected by many to be one of the best in the country. I think even those who hate U of U football would agree that the talent is there, the coaching experience is there. But, will they--can they--do it? I've been a fan for decades. Each year they seem to break my heart.

When I see a Utah Drum and feather, or a beautiful Interlocking U Flag (like the one posted by Scottsdale Ute - @UteFanSARGE on Twitter...), something stirs inside. Will they break my heart again? Probably. I guess that's why it's good hearts can heal, because next year, I'll probably be saying the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment