Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Traveling...At Night...In Cars


 At my side gig, when I tell people where I live, I first see shock in their eyes as the do the math in their heads.

"You drive from there?"

"Yes."

The thing is, if they commute from anywhere south of Sandy, Utah, there's a good chance it takes them just as long or longer than me to get to work. It's all about perspective.

I never really notice driving in the dark, until it gets darker earlier. I guess we're all like that. Usually, when it gets darker it also gets colder. And when it gets colder, I like being inside...preferably at home. It's not that I don't mind driving at night, per se. 

Some of my earliest memories come from being in a car traveling at night. I remember driving the same road over fifty years ago in the backseat of my dad's early 70s Buick Electra 225 as we traveled to Idaho to visit family. I know I slept on those trips, but I also remember looking out the windows at, well...basically nothing. Not much to see on I-15 north of Ogden at night back then.

Because I'm keeping my side gig, I've accepted the long commute. I'll continue the commute every weekend between now and the end of October. It means, traveling...at night...in cars. 

Thankfully, I enjoy that long commute.

No comments:

Post a Comment