Monday, September 12, 2022

I Could Tell Right Away This Friend Request...Was Not On The Level


 If you're like me, you get friend requests on social media from time to time. Since I'm not as active in theatrical productions and other such things, my friend requests have slowed over the years. I now place friend requests into two categories: people I've never heard of looking for a way for me to pay them money (probably...), and friends I already have who have had their accounts hacked.

Point being, I never accept these requests. Today, however, I got a request from a person I wish so much I could accept, a person who meant a great deal to me at a time when I was confused, scared, homesick, and feeling very much alone.

But I couldn't accept--I knew it had been hacked.

I know because my friend passed away a year ago next month.

It brought back a lot of memories, and reminded me again how I felt when I received the terrible news.

Facebook is a strange place. Over the years I have accepted friend requests to people I knew only briefly and even some I've never met...mostly writer friends. I also make it a point to wish everyone on my list a "Happy Birthday" when their special day arrives. The problem is, I know some of these friends have passed away. I try and remember which one are no longer with us, but it's difficult. I know I've wished people who have passed a happy birthday. That makes me look like a total tool for not remembering. 

The sentiment is honest, though, just poorly executed.

I remember almost a year ago. I saw a post from Ed. He took a selfie in a hospital bed telling us he was in rough shape. I responded letting him know that he was in my prayers. He died four days later. Even though we didn't keep in touch often, I feel bad for his family. I'm sure next month will be a tough one for them, and others.

Yes, I knew the request was not on the level. Oh, how I wish it was.

No comments:

Post a Comment