Monday, October 29, 2012

Blind Spots...


This morning I drove to work while listening to the calming words of Garrison Keillor read poetry on The Writer's Almanac Podcast on double speed--the podcast, not the miles per hour I was driving. At this time of year, it's dark outside when I make my way to the office and the cubicle that, for now, is assigned to me. As I listened I needed to change lanes, so I checked my blind spot.

But did I? Did I really? I admit I drive a small car. I believe you Americans call it a "compact" car. As such, window vantage points to check my blind spots in my car are not big. Gone (possibly forever...) are the days of the cars with big windows, or maybe I'm just buying the wrong cars. After checking my blind spot, I quickly returned my gaze to the road ahead of me. I can't spend all my time looking backwards when I should be looking at what's in front of me.


The point is (if there's a point to be made here...), that I went through the motion of looking and I didn't see anything, but I wonder if looking was more a habit that I do when I drive. And if that's the case, what other things do I do when I drive are "habits?" Maybe a lot...maybe not so many. Maybe I'm overreacting...maybe I'm only thinking about this because my son's learning to drive. 

Maybe I should just be more sure when I check my blind spots that it's really clear when I decide to change lanes...



No comments:

Post a Comment