Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Oh, Just Lighting A Jack-O-Lantern At The Cemetery...


 When I was a kid, the last place I wanted to find myself at night was the Farmington City Cemetery. The place freaked me out! Of course, that was over 35 years ago. I guess with age I understand what the place truly means to those of us left behind.

Tonight, after our play rehearsal, we drove by the cemetery. I pulled the car over and checked for a lighter or matches. I hoped I had something to light the candle in my mom's birthday Jack-O-Lantern. My daughter wasn't sure what I was doing.

Luckily, I found some matches and I pulled into the silent, unlit space. I wondered if anyone would see the car and wonder what we were doing at the cemetery at night. I wondered if a cop might drive by, and if so, might he drive up to where we were? Probably... "Sorry, Officer...I was just lighting a Jack-O-Lantern for my mom." I wonder if he'd/she'd buy it...

We lit the pumpkin. I took a few pictures, then we got int he car and slowly drove away leaving the orange glow as the cemetery's only light. It was something cool, something special. It was the least I could do.

So, if you hurry and you're driving by the Farmington City Cemetery in the next few hours (from when I'm writing this...), you too can see my simple birthday wish to my mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment