Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Ever Want To Be A Fireman?


Kids...ask a kid what they want to be when they grow up and many will say either a policeman or a fireman. Maybe it's the uniforms, ro the fact that they help people, but probably it's the cool toys they get to use.


Tonight, the neighborhood fire department put on their annual open house. My youngest (and my oldest...) went with me to check it out. It was a feast for the eyes and I think I saw as many smiles on the faces of parents (especially dads...) as there were on the kids.


First, they landed a helicopter in the middle of the street. How cool is that? Even sitting on the ground, few things look as cool as a helicopter. In years past, the police department landed one of their choppers in the street. That one took off and landed several times while everyone stared with mouths agape in amazed wonder. This year, the Life Flight helicopter just sat there, looking cool...


My sons did participate in one activity while I was with them. To teach the kids--and us all--the need for seat belts, they brought along a little demonstration of what it's like to experience a 5 m.p.h. crash. The lesson was most likely lost on my youngest. My oldest who just finished drivers ed, however, hopefully got more out of it.


What do you want to be when you grow up? If I asked the kids walking away from the open house with balloons gently bobbing overhead and teeth shown in delighted grins, more than most would say "Fireman." And that's a good thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment