Tuesday, November 6, 2012

So...Where Are We?


Last Saturday I snapped a picture of a yard sign as I was running errands. Tonight I came home from rehearsal and I wasn't sure what I would write about for this blog post. It doesn't happen often that I can't think of anything to write about. One thing the blog has helped me with is the ability to come up with something to put on the blog. They haven't all been home runs, but I still try.

Our country is a strange place, I think. We root for sports teams and honor roll students, and politicians. We feel vindicated when our "side" wins and crushed when the results go the other way. The interesting thing is we're still the same people we were this morning, and we'll be the same people we were tomorrow...basically.

The yard sign reminds me that sports teams and school achievements and political parties are all institutions made by the hands of man and everything of man is temporary.  We think we're better or worse than we were just hours ago, but it's a lie. We're neither. We're the same--with the same strengths and faults and fears and dreams.

The sign, for me, offers perspective. There are so many people in America excited beyond belief because of what happened today, and their counterparts feel just the opposite. The results would be the swapped had the result been different. But the sun will rise above the eastern horizon tomorrow and we'll all go to work or school (or both, or neither...) and we'll be judged on how we treat each other. I hope we can one day stand before the Man who's name is on the sign and say we did our best, because nothing else really matters...

No comments:

Post a Comment