Sunday, October 13, 2013

This One Really Made Me Sad...

*

There's a lot of depressing things on the internet lately. Government shutdowns, debt limits, undefeated Pac-12 teams losing (actually, that one made me very happy...), but last week I found a post my friend Tony put up on Facebook. It made me sad.

 Here's the link he posted: HERE. Normally I'd copy and past the pictures of what I saw on this blog, but instead, I invite you to go to the site and check out the pictures. I would be interested to hear your thoughts on how the pictures make you feel.

For years we've heard how bad things are in Detroit. Personally, I don't have any first-hand experience with the town or the people--only things I've heard or read about. It's amazing to see buildings abandoned, a community dying. I can't imagine what it's like to witness this transformation in person.

 If you choose to visit the above site, you'll see pictures of a library that was closed. Everyday buildings are razed, homes destroyed, so why did these pictures affect me so much? Maybe it's because I'm trying to establish myself as an writer. Maybe it's because one of the best things I can do to prepare my children for life is to instill within them a love of reading. Maybe because when we so little value the written word, we reject one of God's greatest gifts, the ability to communicate with each other through the written word.

Of course, if we choose to, we can surround ourselves with depressing thoughts. I try not to. But I'm glad my friend posted the story and I'm glad I clicked on the site. Hopefully it will make me appreciate the gift of writing even more.

* Photo used without permission from: http://detroiturbex.com/content/parksandrec/twain/twain.html

1 comment:

  1. I think this is what Europe looked like after WWII. I'm looking at the building - what a beautiful one that was! I also recently saw an exhibit of huge photos that were taken of classrooms and offices in Chernobyl, recently. Looked like this - haunted me for some time after.

    ReplyDelete