Monday, February 23, 2015

Announcing The Taylor Academy Teen Writing Group!


Attention--all teenager writers in the Davis County area, or if you're close enough to central Davis County and you don't mind commuting. There is a new writing group forming and we'd love for you to be a part of it!

Taylor Academy (the name we call our homeschool...) is starting a writing group for teenagers. We will meet each Friday afternoon at our home in Farmington. Three of my children participated in a similar group under the direction of the wonderful Margot Hovley and they loved the experience! Unfortunately for two of my children, the bulk of the group graduated to bigger and better things and the group disbanded.

We want to bring it back!

So, beginning Friday, March 6, 2015 (exact starting time to be determined...) we will gather and share each other's stories. If you've not belonged to a writer's group, here's how we're going to run ours. 

• Each of the participants will have a week to prepare a section of your current WIP (Work In Progress...).
• Each person will e-mail their selection to the group before Wednesday.
• You will then have two days to read and critique each of the selections.
• Then on Friday, we meet as a group and go over each person's writing sample. Obviously, the more people attend, the less time the group has to get through each critique. My kids group was big so they didn't have a lot of time.
• We also would like to keep the time for each get together to between 90-120 minutes. Margot also charged a small fee per session.
• I will take Margot's place (although, if you know Margot, she's irreplaceable!) as group mentor. I have a master's degree in English from Weber State University. I have had several short stories published through Xchyler Publishing and published a collection of short stories in January of this year.

That's the basics. Since this is new to us as well, there will be growing pains and adjustments. If you have teenagers that are budding writers or you're a teenager yourself and want to get involved in a fun and educational experience, please let me know! You can e-mail me at: hygge123 at yahoo dot com.  I'll also be making a Facebook Page with information on what we're doing. It will be up soon.

For those of us who are writers, being part of a writer's group can be an invaluable opportunity. I wish I could have found something like this when I was a teenager. Heck! I wish I could find something like this now! ;)

Again, please let us know if you're interested. We'd love to have you join our group!

1 comment: