Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Intoducing "POLAIK"...Up First: Jason King


One of the reasons I was so excited about last week's Salt Lake Comic Con FanX 2015 edition and next week's LTUE literary symposium was because of all the good friends I'd be able to see. And thinking about that, I decided to highlight each one of them in this blog. The purpose of this decision is two fold. First, I get to spotlight several very talented people which will hopefully spread their literary influence to more people.

And second, it allows me to fill up several blog posts--something I'm always looking to do.

This is the first of a series of posts that I call POLAIK, which stands for "Profiles Of Local Authors/Artists I Know." The first POLAIK person I've chosen is local author Jason King.

I first met Jason last year at the Salt Lake Comic Con FanX 2014 edition. He sat at the "Curiosity Quills" author table, him being one of their authors. I knew Curiosity Quills author, James Wymore (another POLAIK who I'll profile at a future date...) and at that convention I got to know Jason.

I'm so glad I did.


I should say at this point that I have not yet read the written works for several of these authors. Not that I don't want to, mind you. I think every author, as they find themselves learning the ropes from other authors, soon realize that it becomes very difficult to not only keep up with their own writing, but also reading the works of the new authors they've gotten to know.

Such is the case with Jason. He's a member of the Space Balrogs performing troupe (you can access their website: HERE) and he's published two major works, Valcoria: Children of the Crystal Star and The Lure of Fools (great titles...). 


I do plan on reading them, rest assured. So how can I possibly discuss an author without reading his/her work?

Good question.

Since I haven't read his books, I can tell you about what I do know about Jason. He's a great guy. Even after speaking for only a little while, I could tell the dude was quality, and his actions toward me since we first met has done nothing to change my opinion of him. He's invited me to be on convention panels with him, he's always accommodating, always a blast to be around, and--believe it or not--he can translate the language of dogs.

Hopefully as time goes on I can read his books and properly review them. Until them, I look forward to spending more time with him and the rest of the POLAIKs. If you get a chance to meet him, don't hesitate to introduce yourself and if you're lucky, he just might do a little canine translation for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment